Translate

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Give Thanks

For obvious reasons I see it fitting to make this post about Thanksgiving. I am not one of the typical people who just blindly love Thanksgiving and think it is a wonderful celebration. Don't get me wrong I like the holiday because it is great to get with family and give thanks, but it is the history behind Thanksgiving that I hate. If we want to make it just a day that we can get together with family and friends and feast more than usual, then that is great. It is when we try to play the feasting pilgrims and Indians things that I get annoyed, because that is not what happened. Maybe the first day Christopher Columbus got here he feasted and ate with the natives, but even that I doubt. He was a mad man and slaughtered the Indians, and confiscated all their land as his own. I know that without him we would not have the America we have now (not sure if that is such a good thing), but that guy was truly messed up. We try to brain wash our young kids into thinking the pilgrims and Indians got a long and that Thanksgiving was created because pilgrims feasted with Indians and gave thanks for all their good fortune. This is not at all true. We slaughtered the Indians, stole their land, claimed their people as slaves, chopped down their forests, and then had the nerve to create a holiday called Thanksgiving to make ourselves feel better about it. It is like watching Pocahontas, but with an alternate ending where the British actual attack the Indians and kill most of them leaving the ones left to flee further into American soil. Then once they have captured all the  Indian's land they have a big feast and tell their kids who are born after it that Indians were there and just loved what the pilgrims "did for them." Yes it is true that the pilgrims probably gave thanks, but that was only because they were thankful for all the land they successfully stole and the miniature "war" they had just won against the Indians who were incredibly outgunned. So with all that said I will gladly give thanks for all the amazing things God has granted me in my life that I definitely don't deserve and I will enjoy a great meal with family, but I refuse to act like I am celebrating it for historical reasons. I hope that I have not ruined anyone's mood today or made them dislike the holiday because it is great to be with family and give thanks. I also want to say that I will not always make a post every day, but I will try my best to. Some may be very long depending on the topic, but some may be pretty sure. It all depends on how busy I am that day and how much I have to say. Thank you for reading my post.
Sincerely - CO

No comments:

Post a Comment