Translate

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Day by Day and Hour by Hour

Okay, so my break is over and I am back to my writing. Finals week was the roughest I have had yet, but it is completed and I am incredibly relieved. Well that is all I want to say about that, so I will move on to the more important topic of this post. This is the concept of work hours, and whether it is better to work a steady job with the normal eight to five or nine to six business hours or have a job that is more sporadic such as a food industry position. I have had jobs in the food industry where there were some weeks that I did not know what my next week of work would be until the day before that week started, and my shifts each week were almost never the same. On the other side of the coin I am currently in a job where I work from nine in the morning to six in the afternoon every Monday through Friday. I am curious as to which is better to have in the long run for a person. Granted it can be frustrating to never be able to make plans due to a schedule that varies and changes so much that you never know what you will work. On the other hand it can be dreadful to drop into the eight to five slump that leads to incredible boredom and eventual burnout. Is it better to just live life day by day, or have a set work week to schedule your life around? I have heard of many adults burning out in the later half of their careers, because they have been doing the same job at the same time for years.  Some people see the retail and restaurant hours as fun, and it helps keep the job interesting and different. It can help prevent the person from falling into a rut where they feel like nothing is changing. As humans we naturally want change, and like to grow over time. If we get stagnant then that is when things such as depression can occur. So is the eight to five job really the way our society should go? I feel like everything is becoming business centered and many more people are moving to desk jobs, but I am not sure if this is a good thing. I love my job, but there are many times that I miss my food industry job. It was fun, and I never knew what a day would have in store. With my current job I know that I will be doing the same thing every day, five days a week, and every week in a year. The people are great and the job is nice, but I can definitely tell that burnout would happen eventually. I am aware that this most likely varies from person to person, but I feel like human nature leans towards a sporadic, unorganized life. With that said I want to move to my next point, which is whether or not organization in one's life is a good thing. I agree to an extent that it is, but I feel this nagging feeling that we are meant to be spontaneous. It is a known fact that the human body was meant to sleep whenever tired and wake up naturally, and that the eight hour sleep every night was actually a human creation. Long ago people use to sleep whenever they were tired and it was not always a scheduled event. I feel that this is proof that we are not created to work and operate in a scheduled style. Granted organization is great in most respects, but I am mostly referring to the activities of life being organized and not your desk at work. It is better to let your body just fall asleep, then to force it to sleep like many do each night. I am aware that living life this way in our modern society would be extremely difficult, but it is an interesting thought. Are we truly on the best path right now and getting to a more evolved society? Or are we heading towards a future with far more depression, sleeping problems, and burned out middle-aged adults?

No comments:

Post a Comment