This is my thoughts typed out on a blog. This is not all about myself, but instead about ideas. I don't want this to be about my personal life experience, though they may be used as examples on posts, but instead about abstract ideas and theoretical discussions. I want to get my ideas and thoughts out there and permanently recorded somewhere, and this seemed like the best way to do that. We are constantly thinking through out a day, so why let all that thought go to waist and be forgotten?
Translate
Friday, December 6, 2013
One Holiday One Name
This is a bit early, but a person made a comment to me and sparked the need for this post. This is about the name of Christmas. I just want to say that it is called CHRISTMAS, not X-mas or Holiday. People who call this anything but Christmas need to stop celebrating it all together. Trying to take Christ out of Christmas is the equivalent of trying to remove the United States from the Fourth of July. Jesus Christ is the entire reason Christmas exists, so no one should dare try to take him out of it. If you refuse to celebrate the birth of Christ, then you have no right to make any acknowledgement of a holiday during this season at all. I am tired of watching people give presents and yell "Happy X-mas" because that is so foolish and just a bad excuse to celebrate with presents. People are greedy and just want their gifts without the actual meaning behind them. This is not a holiday about gift giving or a holiday about Santa Claus. There is one reason and one reason alone that we celebrate the holiday known as Christmas, and that is the birth of Jesus Christ. Do you celebrate Easter because a magical bunny who pointlessly hides eggs once a year? I would hope not. I don't mean to be going on a rant, but this is just incredibly frustrating to have people remove the purpose for a holiday yet still want to celebrate it. The same goes with "Happy Holidays." This is not just some random holiday and you are not celebrating all the holidays at one time. Only one holiday occurs on December 25th, and it's name is Christmas. I never hear anyone saying "Happy Holidays" on any other holiday, so don't say it on this one. If you can't call it by its real name, then don't talk about it at all. This is not Harry Potter where just because you don't like something you can call it anything you want. I am sure that no one would like it if I decided I did not like their name because it has a biblical origin, such as Paul, Isaac, or Isaiah, so I just started calling them Person. This would be absurd, and very offensive to that person. They were given that name by their parents, and it would be disrespectful to call them anything except that unless they personally asked to be called something else. The same goes with Christmas. It is very disrespectful and ignorant to call Christmas anything, but that. I don't care what you believe or care about, but this holiday already has a name and is not in need of a new one. I realize that many people do not believe in Jesus Christ and the Christian religion, but this is a reason not to celebrate Christmas, not to change its name and celebrate it anyway. People act like changing the name removes the meaning of Christmas, but the name of a holiday does not create its meaning. You can't take Christ out of Christmas, because Christmas is because of Christ. Just by celebrating the holiday you are acknowledging that something special happened on December 25th, and that this was the birth of Christ. For all the factual readers I am aware that Christ was not actually born on December 25th, but that is the day we celebrate it so the point still stands. I am not trying to just rant and rave for a whole post, but this is something that I find to be incredibly ignorant. People have become so selfish that they believe they have the power to change the purpose of an entire holiday that has been around for centuries. I don't try to celebrate Hanukkah, but just call it a different name so I can say I am not actually celebrating it for Jewish reasons. That would be incredibly rude to the Jewish nation, and I realize that not believing in the Jewish faith means that I have no right to celebrate their holiday. Christmas is my favorite time of year and I love the joy involved in the holiday, but to watch what people are doing to it is incredible sad. We are trying to turn it into a holiday all about greed and selfishness, when that is the opposite of why it exists. People need to realize that this is not their birthday, but instead it is Jesus Christ's. The world acts like this is a second birthday for everyone in the world and it is all about the gift giving, and they could not be more wrong. Maybe if people would move away from this mentality there would be far less craziness on Black Friday and a huge decrease in stress levels at this time of year. There is no reason people should be stressing during the Christmas season because the presents don't matter. We should rejoice in the salvation that we have been given through the birth of Jesus Christ, and that should relieve all our stress. Jesus gave us all a gift, and it is far greater than the toy or game you will receive this year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment